Tue. Oct 26th, 2021

coronavirus, coronavirus, how many cases, act covid-19 cases, andrew barr, canberra cases

A further 41 cases of coronavirus have been registered in the ACT within 24 hours to 20.00 on Wednesday, including another baby who tested positive at Canberra Hospital. Another baby and a team member have been diagnosed with COVID-19 associated with a growing cluster at Canberra Hospital’s Centenary Hospital for Women and Children. ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said investigations into the source of the infection were ongoing, but two visitors had also tested positive, bringing the cluster’s total to five cases. She said the territory had achieved 70 percent double-dose vaccination milestone for people aged 16 and over. More than 96 percent of the population aged 12 years and over had received their first dose. But the number of cases was higher than she would like to see before she reached the 80 percent double-dose vaccination rate. “We need to be careful, we need to remind people that you can still be infected with the virus and that you can still transmit the virus if you are vaccinated,” she said. “Vaccination is a unique protection against the most serious consequences of COVID-19, but we are still not at 70 percent of our eligible population.” Only 80 percent … is the real benchmark for that vaccination rate to make a real difference in terms of transmission and disease throughout society. “It was important Canberrans continued to follow the health guidelines until the restrictions were formally eased,” she said. Of the 41 cases reported Thursday, 14 are linked to known cases or ongoing clusters, including 11 household contacts. Seven were quarantined throughout. their period of infection while at least five were in the community while contagious.Stephen-Smith said many of the cases had been reported late Wednesday and she was convinced more would be linked to known cases or ongoing clusters.MORE COVID -19 NEWS: There are 15 people in the hospital, she said. Eleven of them were unvaccinated with four who had received a dose. Seven people in intensive care, six of them require ventilation. The youngest patient in intensive care is in his 20s with the oldest in the 60s.More than 3500 tests were performed on Wednesday.There are now 1107 reported cases associated with this outbreak, of which 694 have recovered. Vanessa Johnston said health teams handled a total of 407 active cases. The ACT government’s budget revealed on Wednesday that more than $ 90 million would be invested in the public health response to COVID-19 with a focus on pushing forward with the rollout of vaccines. Stephen-Smith said nearly $ 65 million of the funding would be set aside to manage the virus’ impact on the ACT community. Financial assistance to leisure workers who are unable to work due to COVID-19 restrictions has also been extended until the middle of next year. Canberra’s Thursday numbers come as Victoria recorded its second-highest daily record of the outbreak. The state registered 1,638 new local cases and two deaths Thursday, with active infections now pushing past 15,000. Figures in NSW continue to fall as the state announced 587 new cases on Thursday and a further eight deaths. The Southern NSW Local Health District registered 15 new cases, with nine new cases in Queanbeyan-Palerang, four in Goulburn and two in Snowy Monaro. That brings the total number of cases in the region to 317 since the beginning of the outbreak in June. The closure period for the Snowy Monaro region was extended on Wednesday evening to October 11 after concerns about the increasing number of cases. There are now more than 40 active cases in the region. Prime Minister Dominic Perrottet said the restrictions would ease early in NSW as it reached its 70 per cent double-dose vaccination milestone on Wednesday night. From Monday, indoor gatherings will be limited to 10 people, excluding children under 12 years of age. The limits for outdoor gatherings are now raised to 30 people. For weddings and funerals, 100 people can attend. Several restrictions will be eased once the 80% rate is reached, which is expected to be achieved by the end of October. Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in ACT and lockdown is free for all to access. However, we rely on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you can, you can subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our regular newsletter. Our journalists work hard to deliver local, up-to-date news to the community. Here’s how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/106459643/b9d16a62-0a70-4980-bd2c-8fba9dd37378.jpg/r18_146_5460_3221_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WATCH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *