Mother furious as London driver stops 13-year-old schoolgirl from moving on due to broken travel card

A single mother from north London has left a rage after seeing a bus driver deny access to a schoolgirl because her travel card was broken.

Erlinda Goldie, 34, said she has paid for at least 10 children to get on the bus in the past two weeks after bus drivers denied their access, prompting fears for child safety.

The teaching assistant from Harrow was on a recent trip to pick up her son from the nursery last Monday (October 5) when a 13-year-old schoolgirl was denied access to a bus by the driver when her bus card was broken in two.

READ MORE: Sadiq Khan says part of Night Tube could open before ‘end of month’


Erlinda told MyLondon “I was so shocked by it. The girl said she had been waiting for three buses but had not been able to get on even though she literally had her bus pass.

“She pleaded with him, but he refused.

“I looked like she had given up and was about to leave. It was getting dark, she just wanted to come home. At a time like this in London, where women are scared, TfL should do better for their young commuters. . “

Because she was sitting towards the front of the bus, Erlinda saw what was happening and paid another fare “and gave the driver a pretty dirty look”.

“It’s frustrating because kids are supposed to be free on the bus,” she added. “And I’m a single mom who pushes £ 1.50 every time.

“I do it because I hope people will pay it forward when it happens to my kids.”

The student had a broken postcard offering free travel to students in London between the ages of 11 and 15.

When Erlinda posted her experience on social media, it prompted many to highlight the need to protect vulnerable people, including women and girls, when using public transportation.

One said: “Absolutely unacceptable! And women are told to mark a bus …”

“I’m so mad about this,” smokes another. “It puts our young people in danger. Shocking.”

Erlinda added: “I understand that children can be annoying and unruly, but they are children.

“Protection is for everyone, including public figures, we have a duty to ensure that they get home safely.

“Public transport comes from taxpayers’ money, so why can it not be free? It is not a luxury to get on a bus, it is a necessity to ensure that our children get an education.”

MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter On the 12th is packed with news, views, features and meaning from across the city.

Every day we send you a free e-mail around kl. 12 with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunch reading.

The MyLondon team tells London stories to Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.

Never miss a moment by signing up for The 12 Newsletter here.

TfL says it is “deeply concerned to hear about this incident and apologizes for the distress caused”.

A spokesman for Transport for London, Tom Cunnington, TfL’s head of bus business development, said: “We are deeply concerned to hear about this incident and apologize for the inconvenience caused. It is being investigated as soon as possible with the operator, RATP Dev London, and appropriate measures will be taken.

“Our public transport network is a safe place and we regularly support customers and members of the public throughout London.

While bus drivers can deny access to people without the correct fare or a valid travel card, they are trained to use their discretion, especially when approaching young, vulnerable people or people who are clearly concerned – and should never leave them stranded. ”

Do you have a story you think we should cover? In that case, contact an email to lucy.williamson@reachplc.com

.

Leave a Comment