No new cases in ‘developing’ Canberra Hospital outbreak as five babies remain in quarantine | The Canberra Times

coronavirus, canberra hospital, action covid case, centenary hospital cluster, rachel stephen-smith, babies

More than 30 people linked to Canberra Hospital’s special kindergarten outbreak, including five babies, have been forced into quarantine after five cases were registered on the ward this week. ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said none of Friday’s 40 cases were linked to the Centenary Hospital for Women and Children cluster. Two babies had tested positive earlier in the week, with a fully vaccinated team member and two caregivers also getting the virus. Both babies have since been moved to a pediatric COVID-19 ward at the hospital. Five other babies have been quarantined as close contacts and are allowed to receive care visits when testing negative on day five, Stephen-Smith said. A further 27 Canberra Health Services team members are quarantined and unable to work after being exposed to the cases. Investigations into the source of the infection continue. Stephen-Smith confirmed that a fully vaccinated team member who tested positive had cared for the child who was first diagnosed with COVID-19 on Wednesday. “This is an incredibly challenging and stressful situation for their parents, and caregivers will be able to visit these infants after returning a negative test on day five,” she said. The babies had already spent four days in quarantine, and day five took place on Saturday. Stephen-Smith said access to the department was limited and that a team was working to minimize the risks further. “Our COVID-19 exposure team continues to conduct and act on comprehensive risk assessments in this evolving situation,” she said Friday. “Non-significant movement in and out of the nursery and the newborn intensive care unit will be restricted.” READ MORE: Another baby from the ward was confirmed as a positive case on Thursday, and the health minister noted that further cases were a possibility. She said she was convinced the infectious disease team would be able to prevent a major outbreak. “I also have great confidence in the Canberra Health Services Infectious Diseases team and the prevention and control measures that are in place,” she said Thursday. “We have seen from previous exposures and potential exposures across our hospitals a very low pass in hospital settings.” I hope that continues to be the case in this cluster as well. “Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in ACT and lockdown is free for all to access. However, we rely on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you can, you can subscribe here. If you already a subscriber, thank you for your support.You can also sign up for our regular updates newsletters.Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community.How to continue accessing our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/106459643/e661229a-8e98-4669-b99a-05c8139fb3e6.jpeg/r1_0_5084_2872_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leave a Comment