Tue. May 24th, 2022

Florida police on Thursday rejected reports that authorities searching a swampy nature reserve for fugitive Brian Laundrie had encountered the remains of a fresh campground.

North Port Police Department spokesman Josh Taylor confirmed to The Post in an email that CNN’s report Chris Cuomo on Wednesday night was incorrect.

“No campsite has been found,” he wrote.

Cuomo said he was told by a source close to the Laundrie family that a 25,000-acre campsite had been found at the Carlton Reserve, where the FBI has been conducting a search since Sept. 18.

In an interview with the network on Thursday, Taylor said that is not what he is told.

“Is it possible that they thought there might be a campsite out there or something they might have seen from the air, but when they walk on the ground, is that not what it turned out to be?” he told CNN. “Of course I think it’s a possibility.

Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie are seen in Instagram posts.
North Port Police Department spokesman Josh Taylor confirmed that there are no campsites suggesting Brian Laundrie’s whereabouts.
Instagram

“The bottom line is that investigators are telling me no campsite was found out there,” Taylor said.

Laundrie, 23, is the only person interested in the disappearance and death of Long Island native Gabby Petito, who disappeared during the couple’s cross-country trip.

Petito, 22, disappeared in late August, while Laundrie returned home alone on September 1st.

Petitio’s body was found at a remote Wyoming campsite on September 19, where her death later led to a murder – although the cause of death has not been revealed.

Laundrie disappeared from his family home in North Port on September 13 and is now the subject of a massive chase that has stretched across Florida to the Carolinas.

Laundrie has not been charged with Petito’s death, but is named on a federal arrest warrant for using her stolen bank card after she disappeared.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.