Some of the best stories from the Manchester Evening News today include three men arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a machete attack, an internal review launched in the Warehouse Project after a double stabbing and more from Arena public inquiry who heard a victim could have survived if he had previous treatment.
If you missed them today, we’ve put together some teasers below and links to full articles.
Here are the best stories from Manchester today (October 7).
Detectives arrest three men suspected of attempted murder
Police conducted dawn raids in response to an ‘incredibly violent’ attack in Rochdale.
Three men have been detained on suspicion of attempted murder after a man was attacked by a gang in a machete on Tuesday night.
Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester straight to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter
You can sign up very easily by following the instructions here
A 21-year-old man sustained “potentially life-threatening” injuries after being pulled from a VW Golf that had crashed into a lamppost before being put on.
Police executed six warrants on properties in Rochdale at 5.30am today.
Detective Inspector Tony Platten, of GMP’s Rochdale District, said: “This was an incredibly violent assault that has left a man with serious injuries in the hospital.
“We have launched a full investigation into this incident and detectives have been working to ensure that all available lines of investigation are pursued and potential offenders identified.”
Warehouse Project launches internal review after double stabbing
Warehouse Project executives issued a statement following a double-edged sword in the city center club last weekend.
Two men, aged 20 and 21, were stabbed after an altercation in the early hours of Sunday.
Their injuries were not described as life-threatening.
In the statement, the place said the men were attacked by people who had been ‘rejected’ from the club.
Now the warehouse project said that a “full internal review” of the entry procedure will be carried out.
It said: “Although this isolated incident has triggered a full internal review of the entry procedure, we will assure everyone that robust security and safety procedures at WHP are an absolute priority and are under ongoing internal control.”
No one has been arrested, police said.
Arena bomb victim who was put in ambulance more than an hour after the explosion ‘could have survived with better treatment’
John Atkinson was just six meters away from the explosion when suicide bomber Salman Abedi detonated a giant makeshift unit in Manchester Arena.
The investigation into the atrocity heard today that the 28-year-old health professional could have survived if he had received treatment earlier.
He suffered devastating grenade wounds, especially in his legs.
Sir. Atkinson could have survived if tourniquets had been applied to both of his legs, the study heard.
He was not cared for, triaged or assisted by paramedics for the 47 minutes he remained in the foyer where the explosion occurred after the explosion occurred.
A member of the public helped him use makeshift tours.
He was one of many injured who moved on a temporary stretcher to an ‘injury station’.
But he continued to bleed catastrophically and had a cardiac arrest.
He was driven in an ambulance an hour and 29 minutes after the explosion.
‘Great news’: Manchester Airport celebrates the biggest easing of travel rules since before the pandemic
Managers at Manchester Airport hailed the announcement that 47 countries will be removed from the UK Red List as ‘brilliant news’.
As of Monday, travelers arriving from countries including South Africa, Mexico and Thailand no longer need to spend 11 nights in a quarantine hotel.
The seven countries still on the red list are Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti, Panama, Peru and Venezuela.
Charlie Cornish, CEO of Manchester Airport Group, said: “This is great news for British people who are desperate to travel abroad on holiday, visit friends and family or in business.
“Customers can now order with confidence, probably in the knowledge that testing is affordable and easy to understand.
“Removing so many countries from the Red List gives people the most choice they have had since before the pandemic, which will help stimulate the recovery of Britain’s valued aviation sector.”
The school closes the canteen and brings face masks back amid rising Covid cases
A high school has reintroduced face masks and closed its canteen following a rise in Covid cases.
The changes have been made at St Monica’s RC High in Prestwich, valid until the October half-year period.
It followed advice from Bury’s health protection team and the Bury Council.
Students and staff are also asked to take a lateral flow test before arriving each day and stay away and get a PCR if it is positive.
In a letter to parents on Wednesday, interim principal Emma Keenan said: “As you know, we have worked closely with the Bury HPT to monitor the number of Covid-19 cases in our community. As with countless other schools nationally, St Monica’s has experienced an increase in students who tested positive for Covid 19.
“This has been despite the fact that the school was the first to offer on-site vaccinations in Bury and had put in place robust and well-planned procedures to reduce infection transmission.”