Another 25 cases registered in ACT, hospital cluster still under investigation
There is good news for Canberrans, who are hoping for Christmas on the south coast, as ACT registers another 25 cases.
news, local news, covid-19, lockdown, ACT, Andrew Barr, coronavirus, outbreak
2021-10-09T11: 45: 00 + 11: 00
A further 25 cases of coronavirus have been registered in the ACT within 24 hours up to 20.00 on Friday, with the source of the outbreak at Canberra Hospital’s special care institution still under investigation.
Of the new infections, 12 were associated with known cases. Nine were quarantined throughout their period of infection and six were under investigation. There have been no new cases attached to the nursery.
On Saturday, 17 people were in the hospital across the territory, five of them at the ICU and on fans.
Residents aged 20 to 24 have now crossed the 75 percent first-dose vaccination limit. Over 97 per cent of the residents aged 12 and over had now received at least one sting and 69.3 per cent had been fully vaccinated.
ACT Prime Minister Andrew Barr reiterated that he wanted as close to a 100 percent vaccination rate as possible.
“We are going to work hard to ensure that anyone who wants access to a vaccine can access a first dose by October 15,” he said.
The most recent outbreak has risen to a total of 1172. ACT handled 430 active cases and 736 had recovered.
The Prime Minister indicated that Saturday’s press conference would be the last of its kind and no live press conference would be held on Sunday. Statements would instead be issued over the weekend.
Health Director Kerryn Coleman said none of the cases that had spent time in the community had been assessed as constituting a transfer to others.
“While this is good news so far, I have to note that due to the timing of things coming pretty late in the afternoon [or] early evening, 16 are still under early investigation, ”she said.
Dr. Coleman confirmed the Canberra Hospital specialty chamber, which began when an infant contracted the virus, remained at five. She said the source of the infection was still being assessed by an ongoing investigation.
Four babies were casual contacts along with a group of caregivers who could visit them if they tested negative for the virus on Saturday.
“But then we have some other babies and caregivers who are close contacts. They need to be quarantined a little longer until Monday, with a negative test,” said Dr. Coleman.
“I want to assure everyone that there is a lot of work going on in this special nursery and in the surroundings to provide just as much contactless support between the babies and their carers.
“A lot of work has also been done on the delivery of express milk. So all these needs that we can meet while maintaining quarantine are being carried out.”
Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in ACT and lockdown is free for all to access. However, we rely on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you can, you can subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also sign up for our regular newsletter.
Our journalists work hard to deliver local, up-to-date news to the community. Here’s how to continue accessing our trusted content: