Wed. May 18th, 2022

The family of the 15-year-old boy who was critically injured during the shooting at Timberview High School are praying while he struggles to recover.

Zacchaeus Selby’s mother, Iysha Selby, spoke to reporters on Friday as he underwent a new operation.

She said he has been in and out of a drug-induced coma. But in the times when he is more attentive, he has been able to squeeze her hand.

“He has tubes in his throat and nose. He’s just lying there,” the 15-year-old’s mother said as she tried to hold back her emotions.

Selby was one of four people injured in Wednesday’s school shooting at Timberview High School in Arlington.

RELATED: Timberview High School shooter leaves four wounded; suspect arrested

Police said he and 18-year-old Timothy Simpkins got into a physical fight in a classroom. Others tried to break up the fight, and then Simpkins pulled a gun out of his backpack and shot Selby several times.

A 25-year-old teacher, identified by students as Cedric Petit, was also shot, and a teenage girl was grazed by a bullet. A pregnant teacher fell and was injured, but is okay.

“He said, ‘Mom, Mom, I’ve been shot,’ and I said, ‘What?’ He said, “I’ve been shot,” oh my God. And he held the phone, and I saw the hole in his chest, and the blood just poured, poured, and poured out of his chest. It was over his clothes, his mouth, his ears. , the concrete, “Iysha remembered.

That’s how she discovered her son had been shot Wednesday morning. Then she hurried to school.

“I knocked on the door, ‘Let me in, my baby is in there!’ “But they would not let anyone in,” she said. “And he came out on the stretcher, and I ran to the stretcher, and I grabbed his hand, and he looked up, and he said I love you, and I said I love you too. “

She then watched as the ambulance drove with her son to Medical City Arlington, where he underwent another four-hour surgery Friday.

Simpkins was arrested after an hour-long chase and charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a lethal weapon. He issued the bond a day later and was released from prison.

RELATED: Timberview High School is shooting suspicious bonds out of jail

His family claims he was bullied and tried to protect himself.

RELATED: Family from Timberview High School shoot suspect he was bullied

Police advised Selby’s family not to talk about what caused the fight due to the ongoing investigation. But they said they want people to know he’s not the monster people make him be on social media.

“We’ve seen the video ourselves. We were shocked to see the video because we’ve never seen him that way before. I’ve never seen him fight with even his sister or his big brother. He’s a gentle way, a soft child. “Said Kathy Selby, his grandmother.

The family described him as a sweet and caring boy who loves football and video games just like most teenagers his age.

Selby’s family said his condition has improved slightly since he was admitted. They are optimistic about his recovery, but said it will go a long way.

“Everyone is so sweet and sweet and caring. We have received so much love and support. They said the visiting room was just full of people trying to come in and see him. One of the other victims, the teacher, their family came and pray with us.We have got the police to come and talk to us and give us hugs and the staff is nice.We have got the staff to pray with us.I mean the love and support is … it is so much , “his mother said.

RELATED: The teacher remembers what he did to protect the students during the shooting at Timberview High School

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.