Thu. May 26th, 2022

Rusty Sheskey, a white cop, shot Blake, a 29-year-old black man, seven times while responding to a domestic incident on August 23, 2020. Blake survived the shooting but was paralyzed from the waist down.

The department said it made the decision because the evidence was not sufficient to prove that Sheskey intentionally used excessive force. They have informed the Blake family of the decision.

A year after the shooting, Blake told CNN he feels nothing has changed in terms of police and the world’s general division, but he hopes to change that. “I really do not feel like I have survived because it could happen to me again. I have not survived until something has changed,” Blake said.

Exclusive: Jacob Blake speaks a year later.  'I have not survived until something has changed'

The Department of Justice said federal prosecutors from the Civil Rights Division and the U.S. Attorney’s Office reviewed detailed evidence to determine if the police officer violated any federal law, focusing on a federal criminal law on civil rights that prohibits certain forms of official misconduct.

They came to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Sheskey acted with the conscious and specific intent to do something the law prohibits. Accidents, mistakes, fears, negligence and poor judgment are insufficient to establish an intentional federal criminal violation of civil rights.

Earlier this year, it was announced that Sheskey would not be charged at the state level at the shooting by Jacob Blake.

Sheskey had told investigators he used lethal force during the chaotic encounter because he was afraid that Blake, while trying to escape from the scene, was trying to kidnap a child in the back seat of the vehicle.

These are the key players in the Jacob Blake case

The Wisconsin Department of Justice had said Blake had a knife in his possession and the weapon was found on the floorboard of his vehicle. Blake even told authorities he had a knife, according to authorities. However, a lawyer for Blake’s family had disputed the notion that Blake posed a threat.

The current report of the incident is now closed without a federal prosecution.

CNN has contacted Jacob Blake for comment on the issue.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.