Tue. May 17th, 2022

Prosecutors are ‘100 percent sure’, convicted pedophile and rapist Christian Brueckner ‘murdered Madeleine McCann.’

German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said investigators were ‘sure’ they had the right man and had sufficient evidence to accuse him of disappearing in 2007.

Brueckner is currently in a high-security prison in Oldenburg, near Bremen in northern Germany, where he is serving time for separate offenses.

Investigators hope to be able to charge the 44-year-old next year after taking the time to gather as much evidence as possible before the case goes to court.

Madeleine McCann disappeared at the age of three from a holiday apartment in Portugal while on holiday with her parents, Kate and Gerry McCann; her two-year-old twin siblings; and a group of family friends and their children.

Madeleine McCann

Christian Brueckner

Investigators are ‘100 percent safe’ Christian Brueckner (right), abducted and murdered Madeleine McCann (left)

German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said investigators were 'convinced' they had the right man

German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said investigators were ‘convinced’ they had the right man

‘We are convinced we have the man who took and killed her,’ Wolters told the Mirror.

‘It is now possible that we can charge fees. We have that proof now. But it’s not just about charging him – we want to charge him with the best possible evidence.

‘When we still have questions, it would be nonsense to charge rather than wait for the answers that could strengthen our position.’

Wolters said the investigation would continue ‘as long as there are clues or information that we can pursue.’

He said evidence includes phone analysis that placed him at the Ocean Club when Madeleine disappeared, and an alleged confession Brueckner made to a friend.

‘It’s circumstantial evidence – we have no scientific evidence,’ Wolters said.

‘If we had a video of the action or a picture of Madeleine dead with Brueckner on camera, we would not have had to make a public appeal. But we only have circumstances. ‘

But he admitted prosecutors have no evidence Madeleine is dead, no idea how she died and no evidence linking Brueckner to her alleged murder.

‘We have no body and no DNA, but we have other evidence. Based on the evidence we have, it leads to no other conclusion.

‘I can not tell you on what basis we assume she is dead. But for us, there is no other option. There is no hope that she is alive, he said.

Three-year-old Madeleine, known as Maddie, disappeared from a holiday apartment in Portugal's Praia da Luz on May 3, 2007. Pictured: Praia da Luz beach [File photo]

Three-year-old Madeleine, known as Maddie, disappeared from a holiday apartment in Portugal’s Praia da Luz on May 3, 2007. Pictured: Praia da Luz beach [File photo]

Brueckner is investigated after five other attacks:

Convicted pedophile and rapist Christian Brueckner, 44, is being investigated over five other attacks.

They include a sex attack in 2007 on a 10-year-old girl that happened just six miles from Praia da Luz, where Madeleine had disappeared a month earlier;

The 1996 murder of 16-year-old Carola Titze in De Haan, Belgium;

The rape case against 20-year-old Irish woman Hazel Behan in Praia de Rocha, Portugal, in 2004;

Five-year-old Inga Gehricke’s disappearance – called ‘German Maddie’ – in 2015;

And an incident in 2017 at a playground in Messines, 40 miles from Praia de Luz, where a man was accused of having performed a sex act in front of minors.

Authorities last year told Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry McCann that they had evidence that their daughter was no longer alive without giving details.

Wolters asked for ‘patience’ with the investigation and said ‘we have time on our hands’ because Brueckner is in jail.

The 44-year-old was suspected in the high-profile case of missing persons in 2017.

He is believed to have lived in a motorhome near Praia da Luz, where Madeleine and her family were living when she disappeared.

Brueckner is also being investigated over several other attacks, including on a 10-year-old girl as well as the murder of a teenager in Belgium, it emerged earlier this month.

Brueckner has reportedly boasted the police do not have an ‘evidence’ linking him to the other cases and described the investigation as the police ‘grabbing straws for new clues’ to convict him.

A source told Sun Online that Brueckner ‘is aware of the remarks and new allegations in this book. But he has boasted how the police do not have a piece of evidence.

‘He says that the new book about him is no better than a comic, and that the police’s decision to contribute to it just proves how much they resort to straws for new clues.

‘His legal team has repeatedly asked for the evidence that the police say they have and they have repeatedly refused to hand it over. That, he thinks, says it all. ‘

The source also claimed that Brueckner ‘continues to insist he has nothing to do with Maddie’s disappearance and believes that the police are simply freeing the public by continuously linking him to the case’.

McCanns says they repeatedly went to check on the kids during the evening at the Ocean Club Hotel, but when Kate checked in at 6 p.m.  22, she discovered that Madeleine had disappeared

McCanns says they repeatedly went to check on the kids during the evening at the Ocean Club Hotel, but when Kate checked in at 6 p.m. 22, she discovered that Madeleine had disappeared

Madeleine McCann’s disappearance

Madeleine McCann, known as Maddie, disappeared from a holiday apartment in Portugal’s Praia da Luz on May 3, 2007.

She was on vacation with her parents, Kate and Gerry McCann; her two-year-old twin siblings; and a group of family friends and their children.

She and the twins had been left asleep in the apartment while McCanns and friends ate at a restaurant 55 meters away.

The parents checked on the kids all evening until Kate discovered she was missing at 6 p.m. 22.

What followed is widely regarded as one of the most reported on investigations of missing persons in the world.

Portuguese authorities closed their inquiries in July 2008, but Maddie’s parents continued with private detectives.

Scotland Yard launched their own investigation – Operation Grange – in 2011, and investigations are underway.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.