Victorians who have been fully vaccinated against the virus will be able to prove their vaccination status with a digital certificate displayed via the Service Victoria app, the Express Medicare Plus app or a smartphone wallet.
They will also be able to present a printed version of their certificate or immunization history statement or provide evidence of a valid exemption, the government has revealed.
He said the government wanted the technology to be as easy to use as possible, so when patrons scanned a QR code to get into a place, it would check them in and verify their vaccination status at the same time.
Mr Pearson said the screenshots on apps that had a valid vaccination certificate would show a green stripe with a tick.
He said the government had planned ways to stop unvaccinated people from using counterfeit versions of the screen.
“Colored holograms that move can be seen on check-in screens, so venues know it’s genuine, making it much harder to decay a check-in screen.”
Businesses need to have someone at entrances checking screens.
Pearson said the evidence of vaccination would not compromise Victorians’ medical privacy: “For those concerned about confidentiality, I emphasize that the Victorian government does not have access to medical data linked to a person’s Medicare account. . “
People living in the Victoria region will start proving their vaccination status tomorrow when a series of ‘vaccinated economy’ trials take place at 15 venues, including cinemas, hotels and cafés as well as a gym, a church and a beauty clinic in six rooms areas of government.
The venues will operate with higher capacity and density limits before the entire state opens in weeks.
Trials will include a meeting during the week in Warrnambool on 14 October.
Participants in the vaccinated economy trial are:
- Bass Coast – North Pier Hotel in Cowes, Churchill Island Cafe
- Buloke – Terminus Hotel in Wycheproof
- East Gippsland – East Gippsland Art Gallery in Bairnsdale, Lakes Squash and Cinema in Lakes Entrance, Wilson Property in Traralgon
- Greater Bendigo – Anglican Church in Australia in Flora Hill, Bendigo Art Gallery, Village Cinemas in Bendigo, Body Fit Training in Bendigo
- Pyrenees – Avoca Hotel
- Warrnambool – Darlings of Beauty, Roberts One Real Estate, Warrnambool Racing Club (race meeting), Warrnambool Art Gallery