Thu. Aug 18th, 2022

After 14 years of misery under owner Mike Ashley, Newcastle United are suddenly on the verge of becoming a football powerhouse.

On Friday, it was confirmed that a Saudi consortium had completed its takeover of the Premier League club despite warnings that the deal represented “sportswashing”.

From a football perspective, the £ 300m ($ A568m) takeover brought a whole new ground of ambition and optimism.

See the world’s best football players every week with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. LIVE coverage from LaLiga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Carabao Cup, EFL & SPFL. New to Kayo? Start your free trial>

A Saudi-led consortium completed the acquisition of Premier League club Newcastle United on October 7, despite warnings from Amnesty International that the deal represented "sports wash" of the Gulf human rights record.  (Photo by Oli SCARFF / AFP)
A Saudi-led consortium completed its takeover of Premier League club Newcastle United on October 7, despite warnings from Amnesty International that the deal represented “sportswashing” of the Gulf Kingdom’s human rights record. (Photo by Oli SCARFF / AFP)Source: AFP

Dwarf wealth in the rest of the league, including Manchester City, Newcastle United is now the richest football club in the world.

The question, of course, is what it will all mean now for current manager Steve Bruce’s future, and what the squad could look like after the transfer window.

As of Bruce, it is expected that he will be replaced by head coach, but no firm decision has yet been made.

The fact that he may not be a coach when Newcastle face Tottenham in a week is not lost on Bruce.

“I want to continue [as manager] but I have to be realistic, ”he said Sky Sports News.

“I’m not stupid and do not know what can happen to new owners.”

It will be a hard blow for Bruce, who should manage his 100th match against Tottenham, but is looking at long odds to reach that milestone so far.

“I would be surprised if there was no new man in the hot seat in time for the Spurs,”

Sky Sports News’ Said Keith Downie.

“I just do not believe that he is the look they go after everything that has happened in the last 24 hours.

“So they can bring in someone temporarily while getting the ball rolling like Jones, or they can make a quick deal.

“And when I spoke to Bruce last night, it looks like he’s already gone back to his fate.”

Steve Bruce knows what’s coming. (Photo by Alex Morton / Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

As to who the replacement could be, the Daily mail reported Graham Potter is one of the leading candidates.

He has taken the Seagulls to sixth this season, but has a contract with Brighton until 2025.

Antonio Conte is another name, especially Newcastle’s new owners are keen to lure to the club, with third parties reportedly approaching the Italian.

The sun although reports the 52-year-old believes his next job should be on a team “capable of winning titles”.

Clearly, money, even at such an unprecedented level, is not enough to convince everyone of a quick turnaround.

Former Chelsea boss Frank Lampard and Rangers manager Steven Gerrard are two other candidates who have been linked to the Newcastle concert.

Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard is a target. (Photo by Oli SCARFF / AFP)Source: AFP

With regard to transfer targets, Manchester Eveing ​​News reports that Newcastle had aimed for a Manchester United quarterback in the January window.

Newcastle reportedly have £ 190 million (A355 million) to spend and Anthony Martial is on their shortlist next door Jesse Lingard, Donny van de Beek and Eric Bailly.

Lingard may be a realistic target given his lack of playing time in a star-studded Manchester United attack that has only started once in this period.

Newcastle’s owners are also reportedly in talks with representatives of Barcelona’s attacking midfielder Phillipe Coutinho.

Paris Saint-Germain duo Mauro Icardi and Keylor Navas has also been associated with the club.

Newcastle director Amanda Staveley was asked by Daily mirror on transfer goals and specifically on players of Kylian Mbappe’s caliber could be goals.

“We’re in the market to compete for world – class players, we’ve done that before,” she said.

“But we need the infrastructure for world-class players. We get there and we already have world-class players, we want to make sure they have the support around them.

“We have to make a complete review, where the operation is what we are looking at in January. It’s going to take some time. ”

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.