Wed. Aug 10th, 2022

Toronto parents can register children ages 4 to 12 for city summer day camps both in person and online from Tuesday at

On Monday, Mayor John Tory announced the return of “CampTO,” which runs from July 5 to August 27 at 160 locations. Parents can sign up online at efun.toronto.ca, by phone at 416-396-7378 or in person at: Centennial Recreation Center-Scarborough; Dennis R. Timbrell Resource Center; Driftwood Community Recreation Center; Masaryk-Cowan Community Recreation Center; and the Wellesley Community Center.

The city “will offer traditional day camp experiences, including dance, drama, music, arts and crafts and active games,” a city statement said. “Customized and inclusive programs for participants with disabilities will also be available.”

New for this year are “CampTO Plus” personalized specialty camps at community centers and museums that offer specialized programs in areas such as French immersion, art, creative writing, nature and science.

Physical distance, mask use, and health screening are among the precautions that will be practiced to reduce the risk of COVID-19 infections.

The city also offers virtual workshops – 45 minutes, live and interactive – for children aged 4 to 12, with games and creative programming. There will also be programs available for people with disabilities. Meanwhile, the city’s recreation centers will soon be moving equipment outdoors to hold fitness classes for adults.

Tory told reporters that the announcement became possible when Prime Minister Doug Ford’s government confirmed that Ontario will enter Phase 1 reopening, including expanded collection limits and outdoor dining from Friday.

The reopening plan was approved by Tory and other local political leaders from across the GTA-Hamilton area who previously met virtually. Dr. Eileen de Villa, the city’s head of public health, said she was convinced that easing restrictions would not trigger a sustained increase in infections, as has happened in the past.

The county plan has a “very methodical approach,” de Villa said, taking into account residents’ rising vaccination rate – a protection against infections that Toronto did not have in previous reopens.

The city’s immunization campaign was revised on Monday as the province extended eligibility to the second dose. Between 8 and 13, nearly 56,000 people ordered appointments at city-run clinics.

More than 72 percent of Toronto adults have now received first doses. The second dose is only 11 percent, but is climbing steadily.

The Ford government needs to build on the latest vaccine success by aiming for additional vaccine supply against COVID-19 hotspots, which it successfully did for two weeks to help tame the third wave of the pandemic, Tory, de Villa and locals said. leaders.

Data showing that the city did not see an increase in COVID-19 infections after the Victoria Day weekend, as it had previous long weekends and holiday gatherings since the start of the pandemic, provided further evidence of the value of the vaccines.

Toronto Public Health (TPH) said that as of Monday, 14 days after Victoria Day, there is no “increase or blip in cases that can be linked to long weekend activities” or in people gathering despite of public health guidance on not doing so.

COVID-19 indicators continue a decline that has accelerated since mid-April, amid provincially ordered closures. “The declining cases may also reflect the success of the vaccination campaign,” TPH said.

The welcome news of last month’s long weekend follows one of the busiest weekends for parks in the city, including the Toronto Islands. On June 5 and 6, thousands of people lined up for hours to get there by water taxi after city ferry tickets quickly sold out.

“It was a record-breaking weekend,” said Sean Stewart, general manager of water taxi service The Otter Inc., which operates 10 boats between Queens Quay and the islands.

Stewart said that while the fine weather of the weekend was one of the reasons for the turnout, the fact that people have nowhere else to go — non-essential businesses remain closed, including restaurants and patios — helped push people to the islands.

“There’s no other option in town,” Stewart said.

City officials, however, appeared unprepared for the flood of weekend park visitors and Monday after being fried on social media over closed toilets and island access said they will remedy another complaint – drinking water sources that turned out to have been closed.

Only 200 of the city’s 700 public drinking water sources currently operate, and the city refers to cleaning and sanitation requirements under Ontario and TPH virus precautions.

The city now says staff will open all the fountains and place signs informing residents that they are not cleaned regularly and that they should take precautions, including filling water bottles rather than drinking directly from the fountain.

Decorative fountains, splash pads, wading pools and outdoor pools will also be activated over the coming weeks, staff added.

David Rider is the star’s town hall manager and a reporter covering town hall and municipal politics. Follow him on Twitter: @dmrider
Francine Kopun is a Toronto-based journalist covering City Hall and municipal politics for the Star. Follow her on Twitter: @KopunF

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.