Mon. Aug 15th, 2022

The Intrust Super Cup champions of 2021 are the Norths Devils, who defeated the Wynnum Manly Seagulls in a hard and hard fought battle.

Both teams had to contend with a whirling wind that made fielding kicks tough, but the match was still high quality and intense.

Norths Devils coach Rohan Smith was full of emotion after the victory, which meant so much to him.

“I’m just so proud of the whole squad, the club, everyone who has contributed,” Smith said.

“I do not know if there is another word to say how proud I am.

“I just love this club, I love the people involved.

“It could have gone both ways, that’s for sure, Wynnum Manly is a great team and it should have gone one way and luckily we hung in there and found a good try at the end.”

Seagulls coach Adam Brideson, who endured similar disappointment following the 2019 decision, was proud of his players and their season.

“Super proud of the effort, it was the game that could have gone both ways,” Brideson said.

“Norths was a great partner and came away with the result.

“Thank you to Norths and Rohan, they have had a fantastic job and unfortunately there had to be a loser and that was us again.

“But I’m super proud, the club is a really good place, there are some amazing people there, and unfortunately today we could not put it together, but congratulations to our Colts who were able to get it done today. “

See how the whole action, as it happened below:

Watch all the action live on Channel 9 in Queensland via 9Now, Kayo and Foxtel.

We have kick-off!

Kick-off – The grand final of the Intrust Super Cup in 2021

The Devils are early on the board, with Leivaha Pulu crashing for the smaller premieres.

Leivaha Pulu Attempt – 8th minute

The Seagulls have fought hard, and as they crossed the line, they were stopped by a desperate Devils defense.

After a long attack on the Wynnum Manly test line, the Devils are undefeated again, with Tyrone Roberts proving to be too difficult to handle at the line to extend the lead to 8-0 with a kick coming.

Tyrone Roberts tries – 31 minutes

Wynnum Manly Seagulls is on the board after electric backback Selwyn Cobbo crossed the line. He made sure to run to that part of the crowd with his family and friends to celebrate that he scored one big last try.

Selwyn Cobbo Attempt – 38 minutes

At the break, the Devils hold a slim 10-6 lead in what has so far been a cracking decision.

The match is kicked off for the second half and Wynnum Manly is in attack.

An even first 10 minutes of the second half where neither team could get to the top.

Some strong goal line defense from Wynnum Manly has gotten them out of trouble, with a huge hit pushing the ball just like the devils threatened.

The Wynnum Seagulls have equalized, with David Mead crossing in the far left corner.

David Mead Attempt – 67th minute

The hard conversion misses Jack Campagnolo, meaning scores remain at 10-10 with just over 10 minutes left to play.

The official audience figure has been announced, with 7264 people attending to watch two fantastic matches in the rugby league.

With 6.18 on the clock, referee Nick Pelgrave has sent a Norths Devils try upstairs, but as a no-try, fans are patiently waiting to see if the stalemate will be broken.

Michael Molo Attempt – 73 minutes

And video referee Tim Rutherford has reviewed the game and considered it a legal attempt after some hot potato ball game, which ends with Michael Molo planting the ball down the line for a 14-10 lead. Connor Broadhurst kicks the conversion to 16-10 with just over four and a half minutes to play.

And that’s how it ends – The Devils end up as minor premieres and big final winners with a hard-fought victory against Wynnum Manly Seagulls.

Match Player: Michael Molo (Norths Devils)

Winner of Duncan Hall Medal Michael Molo – ‘It was a lucky attempt’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.