Wed. Aug 10th, 2022

A New York State woman has been arrested after allegedly keeping her boyfriend’s 7-year-old son locked inside a room and starving him to death, prosecutors said.

Leticia Bravo, 39, of Newburgh, faces a second-degree murder charge in the starvation death of her boyfriend Arturo Cuacuas’ son Peter Cuacuas, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office said Friday.

Prosecutors allege that Bravo had the boy in his apartment every day except Saturday, when Bravo and Peter would stay with his father.

She allegedly kept Peter locked in a bedroom “behind a door that locked from the outside,” prosecutors said.

While in her care in January, he stopped logging online for his virtual classes, prosecutors said.

Bravo brought the boy’s lifeless body on February 10 to St. Luke’s Hospital in Newburgh, where the boy was later pronounced dead.

An autopsy determined that he was 37 kilos at the time of his death and had died of malnutrition.

Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler.
Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler condemned Leticia Bravo for denying 7-year-old Peter Cuacuas “the basic necessities of life.”
David M. Hoovler

“It is inconceivable that anyone would accept the responsibility of caring for a child and then deny that child the basic necessities of life,” said District Attorney David Hoovler. “It’s really disturbing how this child was kept hidden from the school authorities before he died.”

Bravo was arrested Thursday on charges of manslaughter in the first and second degree in addition to the murder rate, prosecutors said.

Cuacuas, the boy’s father and Bravo’s girlfriend, was also charged last week with criminally negligent homicide.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.