Sun. Oct 17th, 2021

news, business,

Companies should have had a seat at the table when the ACT government made decisions on its way out of the lockdown, a committee meeting has heard. The ACT Legislative Assembly selected committees that examined the government’s pandemic response, which was heard from members of the business community on Thursday, with a warning that iconic Canberra companies could possibly close. “Some iconic Canberra hospitality companies, and I do not want to say who they are out of respect for them, [they] do not intend under the current roadmap to do business before December, they will close within the next six weeks, “said Australian Hotel Association ACT general manager Anthony Brierley. Mr Brierley claimed about 10 to 20 per cent of the association’s membership of the association ACT was in danger of closing down.Canberra Region Tourism Leaders Forum Chairman David Marshall said that business input to ease restrictions could have cleared up elements that were confusing. “The introduction of restrictions, they are confusing, they have “they were still are, and I think the decisions about some of these would have been reinforced if the company had actually had direct input into how those restrictions had been rolled out,” Dr. Marshall said. I think this is one of the biggest dilemmas we face, and we can see it highlighted with the cross-border issues that we are now facing. “Applications for the grant-funded ACT and federal government business grants have come to an end. Prime Minister Andrew Barr revealed on Thursday that 11,691 companies had applied for grants and that $ 220 million in payments had been approved. So far, 8,300 applicants had received payments, and of those companies, more than 5,000 had received arrears, and Barr said 1,125 companies had passed the first phase of applications, with 709 needing additional information and 158 being rejected outright, saying the rest had been received in the last couple MORE COVID-19 NEWS: The scheme has been criticized for its slow rollout and burdensome application process. Barr defended the scheme on Thursday. “It is the single largest grant program in the history of the Australian Capital Territory,” he said. But Phillip Business Community President Tom Adam said the grant team had little commitment with companies, and requests for follow-up information were unclear. “Actually, [on Thursday], I spoke to another company that applied on September 15 and late [Wednesday] received an email asking for more information for their application, “said Adam. But it was not detailed what this information was. When they followed the steps in how to do it, there was no information that required them to do it, a phone call was received by a blocked number and a message left without them being able to contact them and call back. “Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this outbreak of COVID-19 in ACT and lockdown is free for all to access. However, we rely on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you can, you can subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.You can also sign up for our regular update newsletters.Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community.How to continue accessing our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/79652520/dfed1f7f-545c-407f-9cc0-626be2c5593a.jpg/r8_263_4992_3079_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *