Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

Two more people have died from COVID-19 in the ACT as the territory registers 28 new Community cases.

The two deaths announced Monday, both women in their 80s, have taken the toll since the start of the pandemic to eight.

One was a woman from a nursing home in northern Canberra who received palliative care, while the other was admitted to Canberra Hospital on Friday and also received palliative care.

Of the 28 new cases, 14 have been linked to existing infections, while 14 are under investigation.

There were eight new cases in quarantine during their period of infection, while 16 were contagious in the community.

ACT Secretary of State Andrew Barr called on residents to be vaccinated when he announced the deaths.
ACT Secretary of State Andrew Barr called on residents to be vaccinated when he announced the deaths. Credit: AAP

The new case numbers mean that ACT has registered more than 1,000 infections since its most recent COVID-19 outbreak began in August.

There are 16 patients with the virus at Canberra hospitals, five of them on intensive care and one on a ventilator.

Of the patients on intensive care, the youngest is in his 20s, while the oldest is in his 60s.

ACT Prime Minister Andrew Barr said he was “very saddened” by the new deaths of COVID, urging more people to be vaccinated.

“We are working incredibly hard to minimize the number of people who become seriously ill from this disease, and part of it is in the hands of individuals who are on the verge of being vaccinated,” Barr said.

“The higher the coverage, the safer society is, and fewer people in hospital and intensive care and fewer deaths.”

The Prime Minister stated that the vaccination rate in the ACT would exceed 95 percent.

A file image of a 'Stay at Home' sign in Canberra
Canberrans are urged to abide by the rules of lockdown this long weekend as COVID cases rise. Credit: AAP

Although the vaccine count is high in ACT, health authorities have warned people not to become complacent.

Currently, more than 64 percent of the over-12s in the area are fully vaccinated, while 93.4 percent have received their first dose.

Barr said he was looking forward to speaking with the upcoming NSW awards following Friday’s resignation of Gladys Berejiklian.

He said any decisions the new management team in NSW would make would have significant consequences for ACT.

“NSW is on a pretty clear path now,” Mr Barr said.

“It remains to be seen how quickly the new NSW government leadership will get started – many have been involved in the crisis cabinet’s deliberations.

“I hope it’s a short-term hiccup rather than a medium-term setback.”

Minor COVID-19 restrictions were withdrawn in Canberra on Friday ahead of ACT’s lockdown easing on 15 October.

The new measures allow up to two people to visit another household.

Health officials had previously warned of large social gatherings during Labor Day long weekend.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *