Tue. Dec 7th, 2021

Meredith Kercher’s father John, 77, suffered two broken legs, a broken arm and a head injury before dying in hospital, but a death doctor could not say whether he was killed in a hit-and-run

15-year-old Meredith Kercher pictured in her Surrey home with father John.
Meredith Kercher, 15, pictured with her father John

Mystery continues to surround the death of the father of the murdered British student Meredith Kercher.

John Kercher was found collapsed on Windmill Road in Croydon, south London, on 13 January and died of his injuries on 1 February.

The 77-year-old died at the hospital almost three weeks after being found on the road with two broken legs, a broken arm and a head injury.

A forensic scientist could not say whether he was killed in a hit-and-run.

Police have not been able to determine why he was on the road and a pathologist said they were unable to rule out the possibility that he was hit by a car.

Scotland Yard initially said John died in a suspected hit-and-run, but later said he had died from a fall.

John Kercher, 77, was found collapsing in south London in 2020


Daily Mirror)

He was saddened by the death of his daughter Meredith in 2007



However, a forensic pathologist was unable to determine if the death was an accident and delivered a narrative conclusion noting that John suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and had developed pneumonia at the hospital.

John’s daughter Meredith was murdered in 2007 while studying abroad in the Italian city of Perugia.

Her housemate Amanda Knox was twice convicted and twice acquitted of her murder and spent four years in jail with her ex-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito.

Another man, Rudy Guede, was also convicted of murder and was released in December last year after serving a 16-year sentence.

A spokesman for the Kercher family said at the time of John’s death: “We loved him dearly and he will be greatly missed.”

The British student was found in his bedroom over ten years ago



In an investigation into John’s death, the freelance journalist was heard by passers-by near his home in Croydon in south London on a “dark, wet and windy” night in mid-January last year.

He was “conscious but confused” and did not know why he was on earth, the court heard.

John’s son Lyle attended the South London Coroner’s Court trial over video link.

He said it would not have been unusual for his father, who lived in Croydon with his partner, to go out and buy “a bottle of wine or a pack of cigarettes” from the local store.

Detective Inspector Zoe Hendrick told the court that the lack of witnesses and clear CCTV footage made it difficult to determine how John got on the road.

Meredith was killed in Italy and her family fought for justice



She told the inquest: “Witnesses had come across him after a bus driver stopped and walked up to him on the street.

“There was heavy rain, it was dark and seemed to be windy on the body-worn recordings.

“Officers checked CCTV, but there does not appear to be anything indicating what happened in the incident.

‘Further CCTV investigations were carried out by the police largely along the stretch of road his proposed route to and where he ended up.

Due to the weather conditions – dark and rain and bright light – it is unfortunately not possible to identify how he came to be on the street.

An autopsy found that John had a traumatic brain injury, fractures in both legs, a fracture in the upper left arm, a broken rib and had multiple injuries on the left side of the face, including the cheekbone and eye socket.

The court heard that the damage was consistent with a “rotating mechanical drop” and an “awkward and unbalanced landing”.
A pathologist found John dead of pneumonia as a result of several traumatic injuries.

But dr. Charlotte Randall concluded: “While it is possible, the damage may have occurred as a result of a mechanical fall, but it cannot be ruled out that it may be hit or cut by a motor vehicle and the police must be satisfied that they have fully investigated from an investigation point. as far as reasonably possible. ”

The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sports updates, and essential political information.

The newsletter is first sent out via e-mail every morning, at 12 and every night.

Never miss a moment by signing up for our newsletter here.

The forensic pathologist said John’s COPD would have worsened while he was immobile from his injuries at the hospital and helped develop a breast infection.

The forensic pathologist said: “Your father had COPD, for which he took inhalers, and one of the difficulties with that is if you lie still for periods, what you do not do is remove the secretions that occur naturally in the lungs.

“Unfortunately, after a period of immobility, his body was unable to fight the aggravation of the breast infection and the development of the infection.”

Dr Morris delivered a narrative conclusion, saying: “On the evening of January 13, 2020, John left his home and was found injured intentionally but confused on the street.

“Despite extensive investigation, police could not find out how he got to lie on the floor. His injuries were treated at the hospital but required increased respiratory support.

“He had to be intubated and received a tracheostomy. Despite stopping sedation, he did not wake up. He came in at the end of his lifestyle and sadly died at 9.25am on February 1st. “

Read more

Read more


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *