Mon. Nov 29th, 2021

Detectives are undergoing CCTV, which could provide a crucial breakthrough in the hunt for the killer of a 14-year-old schoolboy stabbed at a train station.

Justin McLaughlin was found seriously injured after a “quarrel” in broad daylight at Glasgow’s High Street station.

Justin died shortly after being rushed to the city’s Queen Elizabeth University Hospital on Saturday afternoon.

A number of witnesses identified from CCTV footage have already been interviewed.

Senior Detective Detective Chief Inspector Brian Geddes confirmed that officers are studying surveillance camera video in an attempt to find the person responsible.

DCI Geddes said: “There was CCTV touching on at least part of the incident.

“Along with that, we are interviewing several witnesses who have already emerged and who have been identified to reconcile the circumstances surrounding Justin’s death.”

Detective Inspector Brian Geddes speaks outside the train station on Sunday.
Detective Inspector Brian Geddes speaks outside the train station on Sunday.

It is believed that a number of young people spilled on the platform from a train before the stabbing took place.

DCI Geddes said: “There was a quarrel that involved a number of what appear to be young people.

“I am aware of footage from incidents on the train. We will consider them.

“At the moment, the information indicates that the incident itself took place on the platform.

“The unnecessary loss of a 14-year-old boy’s life is quite shocking.”

Scottish police have described the attack as a “shocking act of violence”.

Justin Mclaughlin was found seriously injured after one
Justin McLaughlin was found seriously injured after a “quarrel”.

DCI Geddes added: “Our thoughts are still with Justin’s family and friends.

“His family has asked for their privacy to be respected in this very difficult time, and they are being supported by specialized officers.

“Although inquiries are at an early stage, we know that an incident took place at the High Street train station, and we are sure that there will be people who may have witnessed something in the course of this.

“The area would have been occupied by the public and commuters, and we encourage those who have information, no matter how small, to get in touch with the police.”

The station remains closed as officers fight instead of tracks.

Detective Inspector Marc Francey, from British Transport Police, assured that the public uniformed patrols in the local area will be increased in an attempt to reassure the traveling public.

Forensics on site outside High Street Station in Glagsow.
Forensics on-site outside High Street Station, Glasgow.

He said: “This was a shocking act of violence in broad daylight when a boy tragically lost his life.

“We work closely with Police Scotland and do everything we can to find those responsible and I would urge all witnesses or anyone who was in the area at the time and saw anything suspicious to contact us as soon as possible.”

Justin’s principal at St Ambrose High School in Coatbridge, James McParland, said: “The community at St Ambrose High School is shocked and saddened by Justin McLaughlin’s death.

“Justin was a valued member of our community and his losses will be felt by both staff and students.

The attack happened Saturday afternoon.
The attack happened Saturday afternoon.

“Our prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends, and additional pastoral support will be available to young people within the school when they return Monday morning.”

A public portal for major incidents has been set up online, where witnesses or anyone with information can inform the police.

Witnesses can also call Police Scotland on 101 and provide incident number 2280 of 16 October or UK Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 with reference 394 from the same date.

Crimestoppers can also be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *