It’s the creepy time of year again, folks. To celebrate Halloween, Call of Duty hosts The Haunting event featuring new game modes, scary skins to unlock, and of course all sorts of zombie horror. Aside from the aesthetic card changes during the event, the other big highlight is the new LAPA SMG. This weapon can only be unlocked by completing The Haunting challenges across Black Ops Cold War or War zone, and some of them are a little tricky. Especially if you are having trouble figuring out how to open scare packages, we have covered you with a guide to unlocking LAPA ASAP.
War zone Haunting LAPA challenges
Since War zone and Cold War share progression systems (as it will Vanguard when it starts), you can unlock LAPA in a game and use it across both. That War zone challenges to unlock LAPA are tough and time consuming, so unless you are a skilled player, we recommend trying to earn the weapon in Cold War instead.
Nevertheless, the list of LAPA War zone challenges can be found below along with their specific rewards:
- Play 5 matches in the playlist The Ghosts of Verdansk – Fire Slick M82 blueprint
- Earn a top 10 last place with your Squad in The Ghosts of World Playlist 3 times – scary watch
- Eliminate 10 enemy ghosts in playlist The Ghosts of Verdansk – Respirator weapon weapon
- Eliminate 10 enemy people while playing as your operator in The Ghosts of World Playlist – Final Summons animated emblem
- Eliminate 5 enemy people while playing as a ghost in the playlist The Ghosts of Verdansk – Bloody Knife reticle
- Like a Ghost, you can relocate as your operator by gathering 3 souls or completing a standing, squatting or inclined human enemy – Muderous Mime Sticker
- Use 3 Scared Ground placements to reduce your fear meter in The Ghosts of Verdansk Playlist – Underworld Business Card
- Answer 3 phones in the playlist The Ghosts of Verdansk – Prophecy sticker
- Experience 3 hallucinations while having a full fear meter in the playlist The Ghosts of Verdnask – Tentacle Weapon Charm
As you can see, all the challenges are linked to the playlist The Ghost of Verdansk. If you play that mode a lot, many of these challenges will come naturally.
Black Ops Cold War Haunting LAPA challenges
The easier way to unlock LAPA is by playing Cold War multiplayer. Aside from the challenge of requiring you to open a scare package, most of these are easier to complete than War zone tasks. Below are the challenges:
- Play and complete 5 matches in Multiplayer or Zombies The Haunting event playlists – Blasting Lantern blueprint
- Get 200 multiplayer eliminations in the Nuketown Halloween playlist 24/7, or smash pumpkin heads in Zombies-Trick-or-Treat Clock
- Finish Top 3 in Scream Deathmatch or Exile Successfully in Hallow’s Eve Outbreak – Magic Broom Weapon Charm
- Get 30 multiplayer eliminations in infected or eliminate special or elite enemies in zombies Jack-O animated emblem
- Get 10 Melee Weapon kills in Multiplayer or earn butcher medals in zombies (5 quick melee kills) – Spiderweb reticle
- Open 5 Scare Packs in Multiplayer or Zombie Slash-O-Lantern Sticker
- Get 50 eliminations while using the Ghost Goods in Multiplayer, or kill enemies while dressed in the Aether Shroud in Zombies – Jack’s Revenge animated calling card
- Get 3 multiplayer kills by killing 3 times, or earn Carnage medals in zombies (10 quick kills) – Keystone Capers arcade game
- Get 5 multiplayer kills with fire damage, or earn fire kills with multiple kill medals in Zombies-Molar Weapon Charm
How to open a Call of Duty Scare package
The most challenging challenge in the pack requires you to open five scare packs. The game does not really offer any information about scare packages, so it is confusing to try to figure out how to open five of them. There are two ways to get a scare package: in multiplayer and in zombies.
In Multiplayer, simply use the Care Package Scorestreak and earn it in a match. Care packs appear randomly as a scare pack instead, and spawning rates appear to be inconsistent. So do not despair if you get a regular care package instead; Just keep trying. For best results, start a match up at Nuketown and continue earning care packages. After a few tries, you earn a scare package. These are large pumpkin-orange boxes that give you treats.
The other way to earn a Scare Package is to play Zombies. Using this method is much more consistent. Simply play any Zombies card for round six, and a Scare pack will always spawn somewhere on the stage. Do it enough times and this challenge will be accomplished. You will then be one step closer to earning LAPA SMG.
Call of DutyThe Haunting event lasts until November 2.