A sexual predator arrested in White Rock, BC last year, has received a prison sentence of seven and a half years after he was found guilty of 17 charges, including sexual assault.
Jack Kelley, 35, was the subject of a nationwide manhunt in 2020 following rulings related to sexual assault, assault and illegal detention.
He was convicted in BC Provincial Court on October 18, and the outcome of the hearing was recently shared with the Burnaby RCMP.
Woman stabbed with injection needle in random attack in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside
“After months of investigation, coordination and careful effort, we have reached a successful conclusion and I commend everyone involved,” said Insp. Matt Toews in a Monday news release.
“I hope this result will bring some comfort to the victim in this case.”
Some details of the trial, including the identity of the victim, are subject to a restraining order.
Vancouver police are looking for a woman who threw hot coffee at Tim Horton’s employee
Burnaby RCMP first requested public assistance to locate Kelley in February 2020 in response to two rulings across Canada and a Burnaby ruling.
At the time, it was believed that Kelley – known to police – lived in Burnaby under court rulings not to date or engage in intimate relationships with women before his bailiff had informed that person of his recognition.
COVID could help increase the number of ‘random attacks’ in Vancouver: experts
In July, Mounties arrested Kelley in White Rock and took him into custody.
He then faced 15 charges, including violence with violence, violence, threats and sexual assault.
He was convicted two weeks ago of 17 charges: one case for each assault, sexual assault and criminal harassment, and two charges each for assault that caused bodily harm, unlawful incarceration, utterance of threats and attempts to obstruct justice.
Police in Vancouver are seeing an increase in assaults on strangers
“We can not regret the damage this man has caused, but we can and will always strive for justice and social security,” Towes said.
The investigation was led by the Burnaby RCMP’s Department of Domestic Violence, Investigation Support and Teams for Serious Crime, he added, with “assistance from almost every other department in the department.”
Victims of sexual assault are encouraged to contact local police, the RCMP said Monday.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.