- You can make a TikTok video by using the plus sign at the bottom center of the TikTok app.
- TikTok videos can be as short as a second or as long as three minutes.
- There are a wealth of filters, effects, sounds and editing tools at your disposal to edit your video.
- Visit the Insiders Tech Reference Library for more stories.
Even though you once knew TikTok as just a social media platform for lip-syncing teens, it’s hard to disagree that it’s become mainstream in a bigger way, and these days it seems like everyone has a favorite genre of video on the service. , whether it’s about food, dogs, dancing or comedy.
And there is no reason to stay exclusively among the audience; making your own TikTok videos is so easy that you can easily become a creator. Here’s what you need to know to get started making your own TikTok video.
How to make a TikTok video
If you are a longtime TikTok user but have never made your own video, it’s time to explore the big plus.
1. Press more characters in the center of the buttons at the bottom of the screen. The first time you do this, give the app permission to use your camera and microphone. The permissions look a little different on Android and iOS, but the important thing is to give permission.
2. TikTok allows you to make videos from one to 15 seconds and up to three minutes in length. Depending on the maximum length of video you want, press 15 sec, 60s, or 3m.
3. Press and hold red button to record. Hold down the button for as long as you need to record your clip, but you can release the button and record additional clips.
4. You can sew multiple clips together up to the maximum length you set for your video. Each time you press the red button, you record more and you can track the length of the total video in the meter at the top of the screen.
5. To discard the last clip you recorded, press Backspace the icon to the right of the red button.
6. Use the on-screen buttons to add effects to your video.
- Effects: This button at the bottom left is a library of many common effects, such as backgrounds in green screens and effects that change your appearance.
- Vend: At the top right of the screen, this switches the front and rear cameras.
- Velocity: You can use this to record in slow motion or faster than usual.
- Beauty: This adds a soft focus filter to soften your features.
- Filters: Choose from a large library of filters that adjust color and saturation.
- Timer: Use the self-timer to start a 3- or 10-second countdown and set the amount of time you want to record. This allows you to record completely hands-off.
7. When you are ready to proceed, press Check bottom right.
8. On this preview page, you can watch the video you recorded. To return to the recording, such as removing a clip and recording it again, use back arrow top left.
9. On the preview page, you can also add sound, music, and other effects. Here are some of the key features:
- Sounds: Bottom left, Sounds button allows you to add music and sound effects to the background of your video.
- Effects: There are many special effects like smoke, powder and camera shake that you can add to the video. To do this, tap and drag the desired effect into the video and hold it there for the amount of time you want the effect to occur.
- Text: You can write text that appears as an overlay throughout the video.
- Stickers: Tap a sticker to add it to the video. If you need to add text to it, do this next. Once the text is entered, you can drag the sticker around and place it wherever you want on the screen.
- Adjust clips: This page works like a traditional video editor. You can drag to rearrange the clips and trim the start and end of the video.
- Voice over: Press and hold Record button to add new sound. You have the option to keep or discard all audio from the original recording.
- Caption: TikTok can analyze your recorded audio and add captions to the video.
10. When your video is finished, press Next. Complete the post page by adding a short description of the video, choosing who can watch it, and setting options as if comments and duets are allowed. Press when done Post.