Son stabbed mother 11 times during homicide at PATH restaurant, court hears as trial begins

A mother of eight children was stabbed 11 times by her own son while at work in Toronto’s underground PATH system in 2019, the court heard on Tuesday when the accused murderer Duncan Sinclair’s first degree murder case began.

Rae Cara Carrington suffered injuries, including three broken ribs, as well as stab wounds to her liver, kidney, lungs and heart, Assistant Crown Attorney Pamela Santora said in her opening speech to the jury.

“Duncan Sinclair stabbed and killed his mother. He armed himself with a knife. He tracked her down to where she worked that night,” Santora said.

“Then he went to her workplace, came in and stabbed her repeatedly.”

Sinclair, 22, was 19 at the time. He has pleaded not guilty in a single case of first-degree murder. He appeared in court in Toronto on Tuesday wearing a black suit and black glasses and sat next to his defense attorney, Joelle Klein. Ontario Supreme Court Justice Anne Molloy is leading the trial.

Santora told the jury that at the time of the murder, Carrington was “trying to get her life back on track” after a complicated separation from her husband. The court heard that when she died, Sinclair’s father was in police custody as a result of allegations of domestic abuse and children.

Santora gave glimpses of the family history and told the jury that the children were isolated, did not go to school and did not interact with society in any “normal way in childhood”. They did not receive regular medical care, moved at least 26 times and were “taught to distrust the authorities,” she said.

“Because [Carrington] work to support the family, [the father] was left at home with the children and his control over the household was unshakable, “she said.

Security camera video captures homicide

The court heard security cameras recorded video of the attack, which happened at Fast Fresh Foods in the King Street West and Bay Street area on the evening of April 10, 2019.

Sinclair found his mother in the establishment’s kitchen preparation area, Santora said, and he spoke to her before pulling out a large purple knife and stabbing her 10 times.

“When she fell to the floor, he walked towards the counter as if he wanted to go before returning and inflicting one last blow with the knife,” Santora said. “Duncan Sinclair then walked calmly away from the camera with the knife in his hand without hesitation.”

Rae Cara Carrington, 51, was stabbed to death at the restaurant where she worked in Toronto’s PATH system in 2019. (Linda Ward / CBC)

Toronto Police Det. Art. Kristy Devine was the trial’s first witness Tuesday afternoon, and her testimony included a gruesome security camera video showing someone she said she believes is Duncan Sinclair committing the murder.

The video shows a person in a gray hat and a black hoodie chasing down and repeatedly stabbing Carrington, leaving her in a pool of blood on the floor. It also shows employees of the restaurant, where she worked in panic in the wake before paramedics and police arrive.

Santora also presented evidence that the jury is expected to hear later in the trial. She said that after leaving the food railroad, Sinclair used GO Transit to travel to Georgetown, Kitchener, Barrie and finally Midland, Ont., Which is more than 100 miles north of Toronto.

The court heard that Sinclair was located at a YMCA in Midland when an employee noted that he repeatedly conducted online searches about the investigation. She then alerted police.

DNA found on Sinclair’s clothes

When officers arrived to arrest Sinclair on April 12, the court ended, giving the police the fake name “Daniel Williams” – which was the same name he had given to the YMCA and a shelter in Midland where he had left his belongings.

His clothes were seized and tested at the Center of Forensic Sciences, and DNA tests found blood on Sinclair’s jeans, Santora said – who was later linked to Carrington.

Although no murder weapon was ever found, a set of colorful knives was found in Sinclair’s home and a large purple knife was missing, the court said.

In its opening statement, Santora said Sinclair carried out a “planned and deliberate killing.”

Duncan Sinclair called two Fast Fresh Foods locations to find out where [his mother] was before he arrived. “He had a knife with him from home, and he was watching and waiting for his mother outside her workplace,” Santora said.

“When he could not wait any longer, he went in to find her and seconds later he attacked her with the knife. He chased her as she ran, and despite having already inflicted 10 stab wounds, he went back to one last blow just to make sure that. “

The trial is expected to take three to four weeks.

Leave a Comment