Wed. Jan 26th, 2022

More than 20 countries, incl Australia and the United States, has issued a joint statement expressing deep concern over allegations of extrajudicial killings and the disappearance of former members of security forces in Afghanistan.
The statement comes after a report was published by Human Rights Watch Tuesday, claiming that more than a hundred former Afghan security forces had been killed or forcibly disappeared by the Taliban since their surrender in late summer.

The report, based on interviews with witnesses, relatives and friends of the victims, detailed the “summary execution or disappearance” of military personnel, police, intelligence agents and paramilitary militia who had surrendered to or were apprehended by Taliban forces between August 15 and 31. October.

The report detailed “the summary execution or forced disappearance” of persons who had surrendered to or were apprehended by Taliban forces. (AP)

CNN has not independently confirmed the allegations in the report.

In their statement on Sunday, the 21 countries, including Germany, Japan and Britain, said the alleged actions “constitute serious human rights violations and are contrary to the Taliban’s announced amnesty”.

“We urge the Taliban to effectively enforce the amnesty for former members of the Afghan security forces and former government officials to ensure that it is maintained across the country and throughout their ranks,” said Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne and her colleagues.

The countries called for a full and transparent investigation into the claims of Human Rights Watch.

“Those responsible must be held accountable,” was Sunday’s statement.

“We will continue to measure the Taliban on their actions.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.