Targeted restrictions could be reintroduced as Omicron rises in New South Wales, but a full lockdown is not considered, says Prime Minister Dominic Perrottet.
The premiere announced Wednesday that his team is not considering further lockdowns as the state surpasses 11,000 COVID-19 cases.
Watch the video above for more on Wednesday’s cases
Instead, he says, “targeted responses” would be implemented if the health situation worsened.
“The alternative, as we move through this next phase of the pandemic, is to go back into the lockdown,” Mr Perrottet said.
“That’s not what we’re doing in NSW, that’s not the alternative we’re considering.
“We have said we will tailor our response to the situation that comes. If the evidence changes, we will have targeted restrictions in place.
“But the key here is vaccination rates, that’s our key to success.”
The premiere also announced that the NSW government has placed another order for rapid antigen testing and ordered an additional 30 million.
This is on top of the 20 million previously ordered.
This comes after waiting times for results have also jumped out in NSW, where the usual 24-hour treatment time is in some cases extended to five days.
The Prime Minister said only those who are ill or contacted by NSW Health should line up for tests to help ease the pressure on clinics, many of which have reduced opening hours during the party period.
NSW recorded a dramatic increase in coronavirus cases, with almost twice as many people being confirmed with the virus overnight.
The state reported 11,201 cases on Wednesday with 157,758 tests within the last 24 hours.
There are now 625 people in the hospital with the virus, of which 61 are on intensive care, one more than on Tuesday.
NSW also announced three more deaths.