A Scottish diabetes lawyer died after a ‘defective’ insulin pump delivered four days of insulin in one hour

An emergency investigation has been launched following the death of a diabetic Scottish lawyer who died after receiving a lethal dose of insulin.

Paul McNairney died last month after his Omnipod device was believed to be defective before delivering four days of insulin in less than an hour while he slept.

The 39-year-old was found in a coma by her dear husband Scott Craig, who was desperately trying to get him around before calling an ambulance to their home in Glasgow.

But the lawyer unfortunately lost his fight for life at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital on November 10 after spending several days in intensive care.



Paul wearing his Omnipod device
Paul wearing his Omnipod device

The heartbreaking decision was made to turn off his life support after doctors discovered he had suffered catastrophic and irreparable brain damage.

The lawyer received the device – a portable pump that delivers insulin automatically – from the NHS and had been using it since July without any problems.

But after his death, the Omnipod was seized by police and is now being analyzed by health experts.

The brave widower Scott Craig, 42, now wants to raise awareness of his fear that more people could be hit by faulty Omnipods.

He said: “This device is used all over the world so people need to know what happened as even a single avoided death is one too many.

“Paul was intelligent, kind and calm. He was also uncommonly humble and could instantly be friends with anyone.



Paul with the devoted husband Scott Craig
Paul with the devoted husband Scott Craig

“I do not know how to get over this – we only got married five months ago. But beyond the loss, it’s the issues that make things worse.

“I can not shake from the thought that I was sitting in the next room relaxing with the dog while my husband lay dying in silence.

“But I do not think in any way that Paul died due to an oversight on his part. It just is not possible. He managed his condition all his life and used syringes for years without problems, but died within months after using this pod?

“I think it’s more than coincidence. I need to know how this happened. Paul’s family and friends need to know. Other pod users need to know. We all deserve to know.

Paul, who was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic at the age of two, was used to injecting himself with insulin four times a day and had a sensor on his arm to track blood sugar levels.

But he wanted an Omnipod as it eliminated the need for multiple injections and came with an accompanying device to track data.

Insulet, the Massachusetts company that manufactures the bellows, gets new users to complete practitioner-led training before getting their device.

Paul completed this training and began carrying his pod on July 12, after it was provided by the NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde.

He married Scott four days later and used the pod without any problems and enjoyed the freedom it gave him.

But on Sunday, Nov. 7, things went horribly wrong after Scott let her husband sleep after a busy work week.

At 10:30 a.m., Scott looked into the bedroom and saw that Paul was still lying in bed, so he continued to let him rest.

But by 12.30pm, when Scott entered the bedroom again, he saw Paul dripping with sweat and pale.

Scott immediately knew this was a sign that his husband was hypoglycemic, so he used an emergency syringe with glucagon.

He said: “I’ve helped Paul before when he’s been hypoglycemic – it’s something every diabetic partner gets used to.



Paul McNairney studied law at Strathclyde University
Paul McNairney studied law at Strathclyde University

“It should have made Paul come around in a few minutes, but there was no answer.”

Scott called an ambulance and on arrival paramedics injected Paul with a massive dose of glucose that should have made him stand up straight, but again nothing happened.

Paul was rushed to the nearby Queen Elizabeth University Hospital but died only a few days later before being laid to rest on 15 December.

Police in Scotland seized Paul’s Omnipod, which COPFS sent to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) for investigation.

An exact cause of death has yet to be confirmed, but an early review by Digby Brown Solicitors found alarming data with Paul’s Omnipod.

On a typical night, the pod should automatically administer 0.55 units of insulin every hour while Paul sleeps – this is called a ‘basal dose’.

At breakfast, the pod must then deliver 1.15 units to balance blood sugar with food intake – this is known as a ‘bolus dose’.



Paul and Scott had only recently gotten married
Paul and Scott had only recently gotten married

But records from the pod’s accompanying unit show that at. At 8.40, Paul received a bolus dose of 16.9 units – enough to put him in a coma.

The bellows then administered three additional bolus doses – each of 17.05 units – over the next 48 minutes.

Quadruple bolus doses combined with basal dose means that Paul received 75 units – equivalent to four days of insulin.

A working Omnipod is designed so that it can not deliver more than 30 devices in one hour.

Mark Gibson, Head of Product Liability at Digby Brown, said: “First of all, I commend Mr Craig for talking about the loss of her husband in the hope of helping others – it takes a lot of strength to do that.

“As I understand it, a medical device is actually being analyzed by the authorities for any role it may have played in Mr McNairney’s death, and in the meantime we will continue to support his loved ones and help them get the answers they deserve. . “

A spokesman for Insulet said: “Consumer safety is Insulet’s first priority. Our products are highly regulated and we have comprehensive controls and procedures in place to ensure the safety of our products.

Did you know that you can keep up to date with the latest news by subscribing to our daily newsletter?

We send a morning and lunch newsletter with the latest headlines every day.

We also send updates on coronavirus at. 17 on weekdays and a collection of the week’s stories to be read on Sunday afternoon.

It’s easy, simple and free to sign up.

You can enter your e-mail address in the registration box above, press Subscribe and we will do the rest.

Alternatively, you can sign up and check out the rest of our newsletters here.

“Insulet has been made aware of this unfortunate incident and is working with the UK Ministry of Health and Regulatory Affairs (MHRA) to provide the device for further investigation.

“At this time, we have no evidence of a device error or performance issue.” Further analysis will be performed upon receipt of the device.

“Insulet has safely and efficiently designed, manufactured and distributed the Omnipod® Insulin Management System for more than 15 years, and it is safe to use as intended with a prescription.

“We express our deepest sympathy to Mr. McNairney’s loved ones during this difficult time.”

An NHS spokesman Greater Glasgow and Clyde added: “Our thoughts and condolences are with Mr McNairney’s family and loved ones as they continue to mourn his loss.

“An investigation into the deaths conducted by the Crown Office and the Procurator Fiscal Service is ongoing and as such we are unable to comment further at this time.”

And a spokesman for the Crown Office and the Procurator Fiscal Service confirmed that an investigation was underway.

Do not miss the latest news from across Scotland and elsewhere – Sign up for our daily newsletter here .

.

Leave a Comment