Australian cricket has been thrown into chaos, with the fourth Ashes Test and a Big Bash game influenced by COVID-19.
- Ashes referee David Boon will miss Sydney test after testing positive for COVID-19
- This is the second test in a row affected by COVID-19 after members of the English tour company were tested positive
- The Big Bash showdown between the Melbourne Stars and Perth Scorchers has been canceled
Ashe’s referee David Boon misses the Sydney test, which begins next Wednesday after he tested positive for COVID-19.
The former test dough and off-spin bowler will be replaced for the test by Steve Bernard, who is on the international panel of ICC Referees.
Boon – who has been double-vaccinated and given a booster shot – is expected to return for the fifth Test in Hobart, which starts on 14 January.
COVID has already impacted the fourth Test, with England coach Chris Silverwood missing the match after he and his family were forced to isolate themselves after an outburst in the tourist camp.
It follows members of the English tour company testing positive before the game on the second day of the third test at MCG.
At that event, the start of the game was delayed by 30 minutes.
Victorian Big Bash game canceled
The news of Boon’s positive test came moments before Cricket Australia (CA) announced tonight’s Big Bash showdown between the Melbourne Stars and Perth Scorchers at Docklands had been canceled.
That decision was made after a positive case in the Stars camp.
All Melbourne players underwent immediate PCR testing, but uncertainty about when the results would be returned forced CA to postpone the match.
CA general manager of the Big Bash Leagues, Alistair Dobson, said the decision was the only option.
“While regrettable, the decision to postpone tonight’s match was the only option available, given the exposures within the Stars cohort,” Dobson said.
“The league has a number of biosecurity protocols in place to keep our participants safe and the competition moving forward.
“These protocols are regularly reviewed in response to the risks in each state. Safety remains our top priority and we will work with the stars to get their side back on track as soon as possible.”
CA will soon announce a new date for the match.