Convicted killer died of Covid-19 after he ‘stopped screening’ in prison

A convicted murderer from Manchester died at the hospital of Covid-19 pneumonia after he ‘stopped protecting’ in jail despite being warned, an official published report has revealed.

Robert Kavanagh pleaded guilty to the murder of Gareth Broadhurst in Sale, Trafford, and was jailed for life by a judge at Manchester Crown Court in December 2007.

Sir. Broadhurst, a father from Newbury Avenue in Sale, was brutally attacked in an apartment on Thirsk Avenue, Sale, in June 2007.

READ MORE: New Omicron symptom detected during warning

He died at Salford Royal Hospital just 22 years old, weeks after the incident.

An official report released earlier this month by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman (PPO), which is conducting independent investigations into complaints and deaths in custody, confirmed that Kavanagh died at the hospital of ‘Covid-19 pneumonia’ on January 6 this year .

At the time, he was 46 and a serving prisoner at HMP Stoke Heath, a medium secure prison in Shropshire.

The report concluded that the ‘clinical treatment’ Kavanagh received at Stoke Heath ” overall corresponded to what he could have expected to receive in the community ‘.

The PPO conducts independent investigations into complaints and deaths in custody

And it added that based on the available evidence, it was ‘likely’ that he incurred Covid in jail before being taken to hospital.

Kavanagh, then from the Bradford area of ​​Manchester, was one of four people who admitted to being involved in Mr Broadhurst’s death.

Steven Whitehouse also pleaded guilty to murder and was jailed for life.

A third man admitted manslaughter.

A court heard that his killers mistakenly believed that Mr Broadhurst was a “grass”.

The PPO report said Kavanagh, a former drug user who was on a methadone program, was moved to HMP Stoke Heath in May 2019.

Towards the end of 2019, after Kavanagh complained of shortness of breath, a prison doctor made a preliminary diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, it added.

On March 27 last year, the health staff sent him a letter in which they said that due to his underlying health condition, he had a ‘high risk’ of becoming seriously ill if he got Covid – and he was advised to screen.

He agreed to isolate himself in his cell two days later, but in June “he said he no longer wanted to isolate himself and signed a disclaimer”, the report said.

The GMP launched a homicide investigation following Mr Broadhurst’s death

Kavanagh was rushed to hospital after falling ill on December 22 last year.

The report reveals that his health continued to deteriorate and he was put on ventilator but died on January 6, 2021.

The report said: “The autopsy accepted the cause of death reported by a hospital doctor and no autopsy was performed.

“The doctor listed the cause of death as Covid-19 pneumonia, COPD and being an ex-intravenous drug user.”

Health professionals identified that Mr Kavanagh was at high risk of becoming seriously ill if he contracted Covid-19, and sent him a letter on March 27 advising him to protect himself.

“The staff followed this up with a face-to-face discussion the next day. Despite foreclosure, Mr Kavanagh initially changed his mind at the end of June and stopped foreclosure.

“The study showed that the prison responded to the national guidance on Covid-19.

“Staff identified that Mr Kavanagh was at high risk for complications if he contracted COVID-19 and advised him to screen.

“But Mr Kavanagh stopped doing that.”

Sign up for the BUT email newsletters to get the latest on sports, news, whats happening and more by following this link


Leave a Comment