Queen Mary 2 dropped off 10 Covid-19-infected passengers in New York earlier this month. Instead of returning to call at New York as originally planned, Queen Mary 2 will remain in Barbados until January 2 due to the “current international travel situation.
“As a precautionary measure, Queen Mary 2 will take on additional staffing in key roles in Barbados before sailing back to the UK,” the parent company said in a statement.
The ship left Southhampton on 13 December and is scheduled to return on 10 January.
The company said the additional manning will take a few days due to current flight delays and cancellations, and therefore will not have time to return to New York. The company did not respond when asked if additional staff was needed due to multiple Covid-19 infections, nor did they respond to questions from CNN about how many passengers in total ended up being tested positive for Covid-19.
Flight arrangements will be made for guests who were to land in New York on January 3, according to a statement from Cunard, who operates the vessel.