West Midlands PC jailed for attacking members of public ‘found dead in home’

Declan Jones lawsuit
Declan Jones lawsuit

A police officer who was jailed after being caught on camera assaulting members of the public has been found dead.

Declan Jones was reported to have been spotted at an address in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, on Tuesday.

It is believed he was recently released from prison after being jailed for assaulting two people – including a 15-year-old boy – on consecutive days during the first coronavirus blockade in England.

Declan Jones lawsuit
Declan Jones was jailed for assaulting two members of the public (Steve Parsons / PA)

A West Mercia police spokesman said: “On December 28, officers were called to an address in Bromsgrove following reports of concern for a man in his 30s welfare.

“Unfortunately, the man was pronounced dead around 12.45pm.

“We do not believe there is any third party involvement in the death and a report will be prepared for the forensic pathologist.”

A spokesman for the Independent Police Conduct Office said: “We have been made aware of the death of a former West Midlands police officer and our thoughts go out to all those affected in this very difficult time.

Declan Jones lawsuit
Declan Jones was found guilty of assaulting two members of the public on consecutive days during the first Covid lockdown (West Midlands Police / PA)

“As such, it would be inappropriate to say anything more at this point.”

Jones was fired from West Midlands Police in September after being convicted in the trial for the events in Birmingham.

The first incident saw Jones kneeling, hitting and pepper spraying a man in Aston on April 20, 2020, and then kicking and hitting a boy, whom he wrongfully accused of having drugs in Newtown the following day.

His actions resulted in six months in prison, prompting Chief Constable Sir David Thompson to apologize to both victims.

District Judge Shamim Qureshi in sentencing the Birmingham Magistrates’ Court said: “What we have here in this case is not just an isolated incident.

“It was a difficult situation for the whole country, the first lockdown this country has ever seen. The streets were pretty well deserted … there were not many people around who could witness what was going on.

“I would fail in my public duty to suspend your sentence.”

Jones was due to stand trial next year, accused of causing physical harm during an incident involving a Taser.

Leave a Comment