Mom gets suspected in Walgreens assault; he was already in custody for Crocus Hill carjacking – Twin Cities

St. Paul’s police may have gotten a two-to-one with the arrest of an 18-year-old man suspected of stealing a woman in the Crocus Hill neighborhood earlier this week. It turns out he is also suspected of the attempted robbery of an 81-year-old woman last week outside a store in St. Louis. Paul Walgreens.

Police say they were tipped off by his mother.

Isaiah Jamal Foster, 18 (DOB: 31/12/2002) of Richfield was charged on Thursday, December 30, 2021 in Ramsey County District Court with first-degree attempted aggravated robbery and third-degree assault that caused significant bodily harm.  He is suspected of trying to steal an 81-year-old woman's purse outside a Walgreens in St. Louis.  Paul on December 23, 2021, which caused her to be hospitalized due to injuries sustained during the attack.  (Courtesy of Ramsey County Sheriff's Office)
Isaiah Jamal Foster

Isaiah Jamal Foster, 18, of Richfield, was charged Thursday in the latter case with first-degree attempted aggravated robbery and third-degree assault that caused significant bodily harm. Ramsey County’s law firm said the charges for the car wreck are still under review.

Foster was arrested Tuesday along with a 17-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy, suspected of the armed carjacking of a St. Paul woman in her garage in Crocus Hill. He was in jail on Wednesday when police received a call from his mother, Tinikia Latasha Jones, identifying him as the man in the surveillance video taken of the December 23 Walgreens attack.

According to the criminal indictment, “She does not trust police officers but would do the right thing. She asked for it and gave in to her son. She loves her son but did not raise him that way.”

A surveillance image shows the suspect in a purse that injured an 81-year-old woman on December 23, 2021 at a Walgreens on Larpenteur Avenue in St. Louis. Paul. (With permission from the St. Paul Police Department)

Foster’s mother recognized the coat he was wearing as a gift from Foster’s grandmother. She said he was wearing his coat when he left the house, adding, “I’m 100 percent sure it’s him.”

According to the criminal complaint, police were called to the Walgreens at 1110 W. Larpenteur Ave. after a report of a robbery. They found Judy Stuthman, 81, unconscious in front of the store.

Stuthman remembered she was on her way into the store when someone pulled her purse. The strap of the purse was around her shoulder, and when she felt the pull, she pulled back and was jerked to the ground. She remembered nothing of it and woke up in an ambulance.

She was taken to United Hospital, where she was diagnosed with a concussion and a subdural hematoma (cerebral haemorrhage). She fell to the hospital due to dizziness and broke her pelvis, which required surgery, the complaint states.

After receiving the tip from Foster’s mother on Wednesday, police realized he was already in custody for Tuesday’s car crash in Crocus Hill.

The Nissan car that was used to block St. The Paul woman’s BMW in Tuesday’s car crash in the 700 block on Osceola Avenue is believed to have been stolen in Minneapolis. The owner of the vehicle fought back and was injured, according to police reports.

“This young person’s actions caused significant trauma and harm to an elderly resident and spread fear throughout our community,” Ramsey County attorney John Choi said of the charges against Foster. “I would like to thank the investigators for their work on this case and the mother of the young perpetrator for doing the right thing by turning her son into an authority.”

According to youth records, Foster has been in trouble before. In 2020, he was charged with domestic violence, fifth-degree assault, domestic violence and escape from a police officer, aggravated robbery and other crimes.

Hennepin County sent him to Woodland Hills Juvenile Detention Center in Duluth. Previous charges, other than the aggravated robbery, escape from custody and manipulation of a motor vehicle, were dismissed. He was put to the test until December 31, 2023.

On July 8, 2021, he was ordered to be sent to the West Central Regional Juvenile Center in Moorhead as soon as a bed was available. Hennepin County District Judge Jeannice M. Reding stated in the order that Foster “should be detained in juvenile detention because the defendant (Foster) would endanger public safety and would not remain with his lawful custody.”

Legal documents do not make it clear why Foster was now out of custody.

Leave a Comment