NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet says the state is facing “a few difficult weeks” after reintroducing several COVID-19 restrictions to combat the growing number of cases and hospitalizations.
- The new restrictions are expected to be lifted on 27 January
- Positive fast antigen test results must be logged with Service NSW
- Dominic Perrottet says the state is facing “a few difficult weeks”
From tomorrow, elective operations will be put on hold and singing and dancing will be banned at hospitality venues, entertainment facilities and major recreational facilities.
This prohibition does not apply to weddings.
Major events may also be subject to risk assessments by the health authorities and may be postponed at their discretion.
The adjustments are expected to be lifted on 27 January.
Sir. Perrottet labeled the changes as “minor” and “proportional”, which would “ease the pressure on the hospital system and staff”.
The prime minister also said the state is facing “a few difficult weeks”.
“Our people and the efforts we have made to go out, to be vaccinated, to be boosted, have been the key to opening up our communities and living with the virus,” he said.
“This is a challenging time, not only in New South Wales, but around the world, where the efforts our people have made have kept New South Wales safe, kept New South Wales open and kept New South Wales strong.”
A new reporting system will allow people to log positive rapid antigen test (RAT) results with Service NSW, the Prime Minister also announced, which will be made available next week.
“As we move through this period … if you receive a positive rapid antigen test, we ask you to declare it through Service NSW and NSW Health,” he said.
“We ask you to treat it as a positive PCR test and isolate according to the rules.”
The premiere said that any organized event should assume that their event will continue unless they are contacted by the health authorities.
“Only in circumstances where NSW Health considers that event to be a high risk event will we contact these organizers and work through the current COVID safe plans with you,” he said.
He said the government would also encourage minimizing mingling.
Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant urged people not to go “out and about” if they have symptoms.
“If you can just stay with the groups you normally engage with, don’t go into environments where you interfere more broadly,” she said.
“If you’re going to the big family events and there will be the special events, such as weddings and the very sad events, such as funerals, you might want to use a RAT test again, I know not everyone can have them, but if you’ve got one, it’s a good preventative method you can have. “
The restrictions were introduced after the state reported 38,625 new cases and 11 deaths.
NSW has registered more infections in the last three days than during the entire Delta outbreak, which ran from June 16 to November 29, when the Omicron strain was first detected.
The changes are the latest in COVID-safe policies, which have been rolled back since December 15, when the government removed several restrictions on prepaid levels.
The government will also extend the vaccination mandates to include booster shots, this includes in sectors such as healthcare, police and teachers.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said in a statement to these special options that workers will only be classified as fully vaccinated after receiving their third shot.
Elective operations, which are not urgent or unnecessary for the next 365 days, will be suspended until mid-February, which the Prime Minister said will open capacity, as Omicron is expected to peak in the last week of January.
The Omicron outburst has proven to be a huge challenge for the premiere, just four months inside his role.
Hospitals are experiencing critical staff shortages across the country, while supply chains, such as those supplying goods to Woolworths, have experienced delays due to COVID outbreaks at distribution centers in Sydney.
The New Year’s Eve premiere downplayed the strain of the rise in hospital cases – although they warned they were “extremely vulnerable” – and proclaimed that the state’s health system was the “best in the world”.
On Wednesday, he admitted that the system was under “significant pressure” when thousands of health workers were fired.
Today, he expressed his gratitude to health professionals.
“Especially our doctors, our nurses, our paramedics, cleaning assistants, triple-0 call operators, who do a great job every single day for the last two years … but especially in this last period,” he said. .
Loading form …