Sat. May 28th, 2022

A couple were hit by a £ 7,000 vet bill after their much-loved dog fell ill after a walk on the beach.

Helen Bentley was worried she was going to lose her 11-month-old cockapoo when he became seriously ill after a visit to Filey Beach on December 22nd.

The dog is one of hundreds of pets that have reportedly become ill after walking along the coasts of Teesside, East Cleveland and Yorkshire, according to Teesside Live.

Helen’s husband had taken their pets out to exercise, but later in the evening their pet became extremely uncomfortable and quickly deteriorated.

The bad puppy then required abdominal surgery as medication given by the veterinarian was ineffective.

This failed, and as he lost more weight and became weaker, he was transferred to a medical specialist in Stockton.

Helen from York said: “I have no doubt my dog ​​got sick from this beach.

“Luckily he’s recovering slowly, we did not know if we would come home at some point.



Their pets are now slowly recovering.
Their pets are now slowly recovering.

“It was so scary, one minute he was as real as rain, he had a good trip on the coast, and within hours he was lifeless.”

After receiving tube feeding, he was given IV fluids and medication, luckily their dog is now slowly recovering.

She added: “Me and my husband felt really sad, we were extremely sad at Christmas as we did not have an answer.

“He lost so much and got weaker. Every day I was really worried.”

Helen claims that something strange is going on along the coast and if she had known this in advance, her husband would have avoided the beach.

She said: “He wants to pick up grains of sand to chase the balls.

“It’s scary that there can be such toxins around, and whoever is responsible for this should be held accountable.

“It’s appalling and scary, there are so many questions we would like answered.”

Helen and her husband, who usually enjoy going for a walk on the beach, say they will not go to the beach again.

She said: “It has left us angry and asked how it happened, what in the world is going on.

“We will not go to the beach again, which is so unfortunate.”

A Teesside dog owner also recounted how his pet became seriously ill and later collapsed after a beach trip in East Cleveland.



Lucy on her walk, left, and badly in her box.
Lucy on her walk, left, and badly in her box.

Rob Whinstone noticed a change in Lucy, the two-year-old Labradors’ behavior just half an hour after their trip to Marske over the weekend.

The following day, she collapsed and had to be rushed to the emergency room by a veterinarian.

Veterinary nurse Brogan Proud previously advised people to keep their pets away from the beaches after being “flooded” with cases of dogs with illness and diarrhea.

They include owners in the Whitby and Scarborough areas as well as Redcar and Cleveland and further north at Hartlepool and Seaton Carew.

Do not miss the latest news from across Scotland and elsewhere – Sign up for our daily newsletter here.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.