Wed. May 25th, 2022

A man has been arrested in Manchester following the attack in the synagogue in Texas.

The counter-terrorism police arrested the man this morning in connection with the siege, they state in an update.

A man was also arrested in Birmingham and both are still in custody for questioning.

In an update released this morning, the GMP said: “Officers from Counter Terrorism Policing North West continue to support the U.S. authorities with their investigation into the events in Texas.

READ MORE: Two Manchester teenagers arrested over the Texas siege are released without charge

“As a result of this ongoing investigation, two men have been arrested this morning in Birmingham and Manchester.

“They are still in custody for questioning.

Malik Faisal Akram

CTP North West officers continue to work with and support colleagues from other forces.

“Society defeats terrorism, and the help and support we receive from the public is an important part of it.

“So we will urge everyone to remain vigilant, and if you see anything suspicious, report it to the police in confidence via the anti-terror hotline or It will not ruin lives, but it may well save them. . ”

It comes after two teenagers were arrested in south Manchester in connection with the siege on Saturday.

Both have since been released without charge.

Police on the scene in Texas

An address in North Manchester has also been searched as part of the CTP North West investigation.

The suspect who died at the scene was 44-year-old Malik Faisal Akram, originally from the Blackburn area of ​​Lancashire.

He was previously investigated by MI5 in 2020, but was considered not a credible threat to national security at the time, official sources confirmed to the PA news agency.

It is not yet clear how Akram, who had a criminal record in the UK, could travel to the US two weeks ago.

U.S. officials believe Akram had a visa, arrived at John F Kennedy International Airport in New York and purchased the gun used in the incident.

U.S. President Joe Biden branded the incident “an act of terrorism”, and British police are working with U.S. authorities on the investigation.

Sign up for the BUT email newsletters to get the latest on sports, news, whats happening and more by following this link


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.