Tue. Jul 5th, 2022

There are now 174 people with COVID-19 in hospital in the Northern Territory, down from 178 on Tuesday, with four people in intensive care.

Twenty-eight patients are requiring oxygen.

The Northern Territory government announced 1,160 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, including 32 added to Tuesday’s tally.

Of these, 1,024 were positive cases from rapid antigen tests.

There were 645 cases recorded in the Top End Region, 218 in Central Australia, 94 in the East Arnhem region, 68 in the Big Rivers region, 32 in the Barkly region and 71 are under investigation.

The number of active cases in the NT is about 7,460.

Aboriginal health groups have continued to express serious concerns over the Northern Territory’s COVID-19 hospitalization rates, which are the highest in the nation.

Dr John Boffa, the Chief Medical Officer at Central Australian Aboriginal Congress, said the Northern Territory’s record hospitalization rate on Tuesday was a sign the NT government should ramp up public health measures.

“The number of people [on Tuesday] in NT hospitals at 178 is now the equivalent of 5,600 inpatients in NSW hospitals, “he said on social media.

“NSW never got anywhere near this number, but if they did would their government have been reducing public health measures rather than applying additional to slow it down?”

The highest daily COVID-related hospitalizations in NSW was 2,943 in January.

An indoor mask mandate is currently in place in the Northern Territory.

The NT government is also advising people aged 12 years and over wear a mask outdoors when physical distancing is not possible, but this is not a requirement.

Vaccination is required to enter certain venues in the Northern Territory under the vaccine pass system and a vaccine mandate is in place for most workers in the Northern Territory.

Don Dale cases showing minor symptoms

A spokesperson for Territory Families said the number of cases among young people inside Darwin’s Don Dale youth detention facility remained at 10 after an outbreak was first revealed there on Monday.

As of Tuesday, there were 38 young people detained in Don Dale, the spokesperson said.

“All COVID-19-positive young people at [Don Dale] are currently medically separated in red zones to avoid spreading the virus, “the spokesperson said.

“They are currently showing nil to minor symptoms, and are being monitored by on-site medical providers.”

Before the discovery of cases inside Don Dale, the spokesperson said, the facility had been testing young people twice a week with rapid antigen tests since the first week of 2022.

Two young people inside the facility first tested positive on rapid antigen tests on Friday, February 4, the spokesperson said.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

Play Video.  Duration: 2 minutes 3 seconds

Data shows many older Australians have not had their booster

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.