Sun. Aug 14th, 2022

Sergio Garcia has further drawn the ire of his DP World Tour colleagues in a spectacular locker room outburst after he was fined and banned from the Scottish Open.

Garcia was among 16 DP World Tour members that were slapped with a £ 100,000 fine and banned from three events having played in the LIV Golf opener in London last month.

The Telegraph reports that Garcia was furious upon leaning from the punishment and even took out his anger on fellow players while competing at the BMW International in Munich.

Watch every round of The 150th Open Championship 15th – 18th July EXCLUSIVELY LIVE on FOX SPORTS available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now>

“Sergio flew off the handle,” a player, who wished to remain anonymous, told the publication. “Shouting ‘this Tour is s ** t, you’re all f **** d, should have taken the Saudi money’.

“(Scottish pro) Bob MacIntyre was there and was disgusted.”

Barty returns at Icons Series | 01:59

MacIntyre declined to comment on the publication, but did tweet during the event: “Amazing how fast you can lose respect for someone that you’ve looked up to all your life.”

It’s not the first time Garcia has had an ugly outburst in recent weeks.

Just before joining LIV Golf, he was handed a time penalty while looking for his ball on the PGA Tour, and was heard on camera saying: “That is absolute bulls ** t.

“Can’t wait to get outta here. … Just a couple more weeks until I do not have to deal with you anymore. ”

Speaking about the most recent rant, the anonymous source told the Telegraph: “Sergio’s reputation had taken quite a hammering anyway before this but this has sealed it for many of us.

“The rant in America the other month was one thing, but this is his home Tour, where he started and he should not forget that. Fair enough, he’s taken the money. But he does not have to rub other players’ noses in it. ”

‘Cut their limbs off’

News of Garcia’s rant came on the final day of the LIV Golf event in Portland, where Branden Grace took out the top AUD $ 5.8 million prize over Carlos Ortiz in second, and Dustin Johnson and Patrick Reed in third.

Grace created clear space from his rivals with three holes to play when he spectacularly chipped in for birdie.

Chasing was American star Johnson who was involved in an awkward on-air moment for the breakaway tour.

On-course microphones from LIV Golf – which runs its own broadcast online – picked up one fan ironically cheering for Johnson by referencing Saudi Arabian atrocities.

“Lets go DJ, dismember the competition, cut their limbs off,” the fan was clearly heard saying during the LIV Golf coverage.

England’s Casey confirms he’s joining Saudi-backed LIV Golf

Meanwhile, England’s Paul Casey confirmed Saturday he’s making the jump to the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series, but the 44-year-old hopes to play the Open Championship before his debut on the breakaway circuit.

Casey, 44, is ranked 26th in the world, giving the controversial LIV circuit 22 of the world’s top 100 players.

“I’m so excited,” Casey said in an interview during the live stream of Saturday’s final round of the LIV Golf Invitational in Portland, Oregon.

A lingering back injury forced Casey out of the US Open, and he noted that he had not played a tournament since March.

England's Paul Casey confirmed Saturday he's making the jump to the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series.
England’s Paul Casey confirmed Saturday he’s making the jump to the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series.Source: AFP

Casey said he planned to make his LIV debut later this month at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster in New Jersey.

That will be the third of eight events in this inaugural LIV season. First, however, Casey said he would “love to tee it off in the Open Championship in St. Louis. Andrews.

“I’ve already missed three majors so far this year … and then you will see me at Bedminster.”

The R&A announced in June that players signed up to the LIV Golf series will be allowed to compete in the 150th Open Championship, even though the US PGA Tour has banned those involved in the rebel venture and the DP World Tour has also levied sanctions.

The series, bankrolled by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, has plunged the golf world into turmoil, drawing stinging criticism from human rights groups who say the lucrative series is an attempt to boost the kingdom’s image through sport.

In 2019, Casey was outspoken about not playing in the original Saudi International tournament, then sanctioned by the European Tour.

He cited his then-association with UNICEF for skipping the tournament, telling the Independent newspaper that “signing a deal and being paid to be down there … I would be a hypocrite if I did that.”

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.